aprilgem is short for April G. E. Martinez.
That’s me, creating web sites since 1998, this web site in particular since 1999, this blog since 2001. This is where I share my writing, riddles, tutorials, and artwork with anyone who might enjoy them. I also sometimes post about my work in the publishing industry as a graphic designer and illustrator. Unless otherwise indicated, everything was written or created by me.
This blog’s been through quite a number of changes over the years — lots of redesigns and migrations from CMS to CMS, from a simple guestbook script, to Greymatter, to MovableType, to B2/WordPress and its various iterations. I’ve lost some data over time, especially comments, and a lot of the old links are broken. To keep from being a digital hoarder, I’ll be making gradual changes over time, curating and culling content, and removing any dead weight.
You can contact me by leaving a comment or e-mailing email@example.com. Thanks!
First Time Visitors
If you’ve never been here, I recommend reading some of my older work to get to know me:
- V is for Vitch
- Karaoke Kills
- Kodak Moment #1: The Showers
- Girls Don’t Sweat. They Glow!
- What’s Odd in this Post? I Dare You to Tell Me.
- The Lady, the Tiger, and the Hollywood Ending
- The Feeling Is Nuptial
- Life Lesson #1: What I Learned While Working as an Imaging Specialist at a Pet Magazine…
- Bad [Children’s Fantasy] From My Writing Past #4: Gregor the Griffin
- Fauxtography 101
- It Kind of Grows on You
- The Nose Knows
- He Gazed at Me From Across the Room
- Photoshop Tips and Tricks #1: Patterned Cloth
- Scarred For Life #2: The Blackhead Blasting Blockhead
- Fauxtography 102
- Move Along, Folks
- Conditional Love
- A Moonless Starry Sky
- Little Miss Muffet Simply Can’t Tough It
- I Am a Life Support System for a Vagina, Hear Me Utter a Full Loud Prolonged Sound
- Meet Me at the Park
- How To Make Celtic Knots in Illustrator
- What Bums Do Behind Closed Doors
- Silly Song of States
- The Game of the Name
- Totally Whelmed
Mentioned regularly in the old posts are H.E. and Cat. Neither are in my life any more. H.E. and I went our separate ways, and Cat passed away at 16-17 years old a few years back.